As you have heard most of the time, ‘You are never too old for yoga’. If you are well past the age of 60 years and want to start an exercise for the body and mind, yoga is for you. Yoga as you may already know, is not just about the body. It is much about the mind and soul. If you have never practiced yoga, then also you can try it at least once. There are a few seniors, who also want to start a second career, as a yoga teacher. In that case, the yoga teacher training in rishikesh can help you a lot.
Today millions of people do yoga, and seniors comprise a large chunk. Additionally, you can also think of teaching yoga, for social causes and also for payment. In this article, you will read how yoga can help seniors and the best styles as well.
Benefits Of The Yoga Teacher Training In Rishikesh For Seniors
At first, you must be wondering, ‘Why teacher training?’ Many people go for neighbourhood yoga classes, and still excel. However, you must note one thing, that these schools in your local area teach only the fitness part. If you want to develop your health or want to teach others, you need to know all the nuances. That is where the yoga teacher training in rishikesh helps. You can tweak the poses to suit seniors, who have just started. The ones who have been practicing yoga for some time can even perform some stunts.
Here are a few advantages of practicing yoga, for seniors.
- Yoga can help seniors to cultivate better balance. It can help in strengthening the abdominal muscles and core. Your core area can become really stable if you practice yoga under trained experts. The courses for seniors are well-designed at Samadhi Yoga Ashram. That is the reason why, you may meet many people from the older generation at the school premises. With time, you will get steadier, too.
- Yoga can also improve flexibility in stiff areas. As we grow older, the cartilaginous fluid starts drying, so you will hear your joints making noises. Knees are the worst affected, as they support a larger part of the body weight. When you hold yoga poses for a long time, the connective tissues stretch and relax. They also loosen a bit. Thus, increasing your range of motion. If you are a senior, then you should practice yoga often.
- If you suffer from Osteoporosis, then it will be a good idea to practice yoga. It affects older women, more than men. Women neglect their health more often than men, so they tend to lack calcium and phosphorus. These minerals play a huge role in maintaining bone health. By the time, you realize what’s going on, the damage is done. The weight-bearing poses in the realm of yoga can improve bone health. Bone density also improves in women, who are post-menopausal.
- If you practice yogic breathing and meditation on a regular basis, you will be able to reduce anxiety levels as well. As people grow older, they mostly start worrying about their health, finances, and children’s careers. Yoga has been known to reduce the Cortisol levels, so your stress also goes down. You will also be able to get rid of depressive symptoms. However, for all this to take place, training under the right school is necessary. Samadhi Yoga Ashram is one of the best places, where you can train. Choose such a school, which has the required experience in teaching seniors.
- Seniors mostly complain of lack of sleep, along with Insomnia-like symptoms. Two yoga sessions per week can cure your sleeplessness. As you stretch and fold, in yoga sessions, the body gets tired. This is one of the reasons, why you sleep better, thereafter. Yoga also cultivates mindfulness and breath awareness. Deep breathing is also involved. All these together help older people sleep better.
Best Yoga Styles For Seniors
You can join the yoga teacher training in rishikesh, as a senior to reap the advantages of yoga in your life. You can learn the detailed yogic guidelines for your own betterment, or to guide others. Hatha Yoga is mostly the foundational style, taught anywhere. The yoga school in Rishikesh also teaches it to one and all. Hatha Yoga covers most yoga styles. But the reverse is not applicable. Hatha Yoga mainly concentrates on physical forms. It is good for stability and strengthening.
You can also go for restorative yoga, if you have any deep-seated injuries. Props will help you to get into deep poses, without hurting your joints too much. Restorative yoga is a good option for seniors. You can also engage in Yin Yoga, which is again therapeutic. The best teachers will guide you on this yoga journey. It is not about perfection, but alignments. The right body alignments will give you the advantages. If you want more spiritual awareness, you can go for Kundalini Yoga, as well.
Evaluate your physical condition, ask a doctor, and then decide upon your course of journey. It will help you to prepare for a new life ahead.